Richard Cape, MD was born in Iowa City, Iowa. He was raised in Memphis, Tennessee. He is a graduate of Memphis University High School and Vanderbilt University. He pursued his medical degree from the University of Tennessee Medical School. He completed his residency in ophthalmology at the University of Tennessee.
Dr. Richard Cape has been in practice in Dyersburg since June, 1993. He and his wife, Stephanie, have three children; Courtney, Hays, and Harrison.
Dr. Cape’s work has been published in the prestigious ophthalmology textbook, Principles and Practices of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He was a co-author of the publication “Surgical Intervention in Conjunction with Medical Treatment of Cicatricial Pemphigoid” in Vol. II of Principles and Practice of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery by Stephen Bosniak, M.D.
He is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the Tennessee Academy of Ophthalmology, and the Fellow American College of Surgeons (FACS).
High Points of Dr. Cape's Career
- In 1994, Dr. Cape performed the first corneal transplant in the Dyersburg area. Over the past 19 years, Dr. Cape has performed hundreds of corneal transplant surgeries in Dyersburg, Tennessee. No other ophthalmologist has come close to performing the number of corneal transplant surgeries in Dyersburg.
- He was the first surgeon to perform trabectome glaucoma surgery in Dyersburg, TN.
- In 2004, the office was selected by the community as best “Small Business” of the year for Dyersburg and the surrounding area.
- In 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009, Richard Cape, MD was voted as one of “America’s Top Ophthalmologists."
- He accepted the "Patient’s Choice Award" in 2009 and was placed on the Consumer’s Research Council of America in 2010.
- When Dr. Cape started his private practice in 1993, he opened a two-room office with only one employee. As the next few years passed, his practice continued to grow, resulting in the formation of Cape Regional Eye Center, PLLC in February, 2003. His lifelong dream came true when he established and opened the doors of Cape Surgery Center, LLC in May, 2006. In doing so, he made it possible to move from your eye doctor to your surgical center under one roof.